Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Landshark... a tribute

There's been a lot of talk about this bicycle and the man that rides it. The first time I saw it, I had the same reaction that most do. I began to tremble. Over the course of the season, the bike has seemed to assimilate parts from other bicycles, like something out of a Stephen King horror novel, or a Star Trek episode. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to life at night and escapes out into the dark night to eat other bicycles.


So here it is... a glimpse into the legend that is... the Landshark.



The frame: Landshark. A Steel/Lead hybrid. Pure power. 
A predator, like a shark. But on land...



Mismatching front and rear Zipp wheels. Nothing says,
"I'm powerful and a little crazy" like mismatching carbon aero wheels.



It's the subtle touches that make this one of the best bikes on the road today. What worked for the guys in 1920's, works for us today. 



Stella Azzurra seatpost? Yes.


Deda. Pure metal.


Stella Azzurra. The more, the better.


Campy Chorus. The metal version. 



This bike wouldn't be complete without a half-pound of bottle cage.



This is the only bike in the entire world worthy enough 
to bear a "Ramrod" sticker. 


The Landshark. Love it. Hate it... Fear it.

5 comments:

Jason Dodge said...

Finally! A fitting tribute to the Landshark!

JT said...

Back in day (late 80's) the Land Shark was the bike to have. I fondly remember my first Land Shark. It was a black & white zebra stripped cromoly wonder.Then came the Land Shark TT bike with black and yellow flames. With nothing less than a 27" ear wheel and a 24" front. Oh the fond memories. I miss my Land Shark sleds.

Nick Gillock said...

My vote is the the 4 team work for the Ramrod tomorrow at the SDSR crit. It is due for a race win.

marco said...

You can tell who the old punks are by the bikes they ride.

Andrés said...

I love that the woolen-calf of doom is in the background of the ramrod picture. Bury it deep, Marc. Sorry my slow ass can't be there to help in the carnage.

Twitter / teamlg