Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Topanga Tuesday

I finally got my butt out of bed in time to join Spencer and Matt for their (developing to be) legendary Topanga Tuesday ride. I couldn’t even tell you what the route is because half-way up Old Topanga, my chain snapped. I was having some issues with it on the ride out….it was skipping…but chose to ignore it and keep moving. Mistake! What to do now?

My first suggestion was to let Spencer and Matt continue on and I’d coast downhill to the PCH…then try to hitch a ride. Well, the great teammates they are, they had none of that idea and began to push me along….which was a good thing because that route is not as downhill as it seems; they both worked hard to get me down to the PCH, and then back to Santa Monica. It was also, despite how beautiful yesterday was, one of the coldest mornings I can remember in Topanga. They must have a different weather system there or something.

After our hike up to Ocean Ave and to my car, we agreed to meet at Peets so I could buy them a latte for their efforts. Unfortunately, Spencer had bike issues of his own and blew a spoke at 26th street. I was glad to return some of the favor and drive Spencer home.

So the day turned out to be a reminder of a couple things.

First…carefully check your equipment before you head out. I’m not sure if Spencer could have prevented his blown spoke, but I could have at least stopped the moment I discovered something was wrong. And, it’s also a good idea to carry some basic chain-repair tools…something I never do. Someone with more experience may want to provide a list of saddle-bag essentials based on their own experiences cycling in this area. That would be helpful.

Second…how lucky we are to have such great and caring teammates. I know we’ve all experienced this in various ways over the years. I was once again reminded of that yesterday. Matt and Spencer didn’t think for a second to leave me at Old Topanga and continue riding…a lot of folks might have. So thanks again fellas for your efforts to get me home safely.

Next Tuesday’s latte’s are definitely on me.

Z

4 comments:

Rob L said...

Get rid of that crappy SRAM kit you have been riding. As the French say "Le Pew!";-)

marc66thomas said...

I carry too much in my saddle bag so beware what you ask for
The regular stuff:
2 tire irons
3 tubes
extra:
DT Spoke wrench
Chain tool
EZ removable link, length of Shimano and campy chain, 5 links
mini std. screw driver
First aid stuff
Piece of old FedEx envelope (tyveck) for booting tires
An old ID (for the found dead on road by myself)
Money for a coffee

Matt Davis said...

I'm going to be advocating a new strategy in road races:

Spencer pushes us uphill to victory...

Spencer said...

Marc's our version of a neutral support vehicle. Pretty soon he may be carrying a spare wheelset.

I do wish i'd had more in my bag that day. I've got a little multi tool that includes a small chain tool. It's in there now you can be sure.

Twitter / teamlg